Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sweet Revenge


REVENGE OF THE GIRL WITH THE GREAT PERSONALITY                  4 Stars
By: Elizabeth Eulberg

When I saw this book title I couldn’t resist checking it out. I knew it would be a classic high school book that everyone should read. I was right.

This book allowed me to cover most emotions known to man within the few short pages. It is a quick read that will make you sad, angry, pensive, disgusted, giggly and more. I loved it!

Lexi is a teenager who opens the book by telling us her Saturday is spent applying butt glue on her 7-year old sister. You might wonder why in the world Lexi would be applying butt glue to her sister; well her sister is a child beauty pageant girl. Imagine Toddlers and Tiaras and you will correctly guess how Lexi’s family is.

Lexi’s parents are divorced and her mom’s coping skills involved eating horribly and spending thousands of dollars (money she doesn’t have) on pageants for Mackenzie. As a result Lexi is placed in a position where she is the runner girl for anything and everything Mac needs.

As Mackenzie gets more beautiful, Lexi feels uglier. Lexi’s two best friends, Benny and Cam are the only ones that seem to know her true beauty over the fact that others only think she has a great personality.

After Benny and Cam discover that Mac called Lexi “ugly” they talk her into fixing herself up. Lexi is actually a fashion wiz and seamstress, yet she hides in baggy clothing and no makeup. Benny makes a deal with Lexi to dress up for a week in order to help her self-esteem.

While Project Lexi 2.0 is underway you see many similarities between high school and beauty pageants. Pick up the book and see how Lexi handles it all in this funny page turner.



REVENGE WEARS PRADA: The Devil Returns             3.5 Stars
By: Lauren Weisberger
 

It has been a few years since I read The Devil Wears Prada, but I remember enjoying it as much as I enjoyed the movie. Actually, I didn’t read the book at all. I listened to it, which could have been part of the reason I loved it. I don’t remember who the reader was (it looks like a few different versions are available) but I do remember being highly entertained by the parts when the assistants are required to perform a little song before being allowed into the building. In fact, I should listen to it again; I could always use a laugh.

When I heard that Weisberger had released a sequel I immediately placed a hold at my library. I couldn’t wait to see what would happen next. It has been a decade since Andy’s famous Paris scene where she told Miranda Priestly exactly what she thought. For about two thirds of the book we are just catching up on her life, which starts with Andy’s wedding to another man, yes I was disappointed to find out it wasn’t Alex.

In additional to her wedding, Andy has teamed up with Emily. That’s right; it is the same Emily who Andy worked with while at Runway. Andy and Emily have started a new bridal magazine, The Plunge. It is doing rather well and Miranda has taken notice. Soon Miranda is setting up meetings in order to discuss purchasing the magazine.

While the first portion of the book is interesting, it didn’t quite live up to the hype I was expecting. Suspiciously Miranda is quite controlled and we don’t see the devil until later in the book. Fortunately, the last third of the book shows the Weisberger drama we have come to love and expect. Even though the excitement is kept to the finale, it is still worth picking up if you are a fan of The Devil Wears Prada.


THE BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO RUNNING AWAY FROM HOME                 4 Stars
By: Jennifer Larue Huget & Red Nose Studio

What better form of revenge exists than running away from home? It doesn’t matter that you are running away from home because you don’t think anyone cares; you are going to show them the ultimate form of revenge by denying them of your presence. That should teach them!

As a child I used to write many notes detailing my plans to run away. I kept them in a drawer in order to save time for when I actually decided to really run away. I just knew when that moment happened my family would know to look in my drawer and see all my run away notes and realize what they had done to deserve such revenge. Turns out I was a little delusional.

Nobody did it better than one of my sisters, who put her run-away note on my parent’s bedroom door in plain sight. However, she was unable to find tape so a little ingenuity was required. This came in the form of toilet paper or a paper towel. When wet it would stick to the surface, which magically held the note so it could be discovered. I remember my dad not even being worried about her when he saw the note. He just chuckled and mentioned what a smart little girl he had. He knew he didn’t raise a dummy, even if she thought she could run away.

Before I talk about the content of The Beginner’s Guide to Running Away from Home, I want to talk about the illustrations. It is different from most picture books we are used to. Imagine a small doll house world. Items are made out of wood, paper, plastic, and various other materials. Imagine people made out of clay or wood and a map detailed in chalk. When this world is put together it is photographed in various scenes to depict the story. Since it is photographed we get light, shadow and silhouette. Imagine bright paint and color and details that are intricately placed.

Once you have an idea of this world, add even more. Add more well-known background illustrations in what could be paint, chalk, or possibly even pencils. Don’t forget that the materials mentioned above are also used. Then add random graphite sketches to enhance a few of the scenes. All of this was a lot to take in, and took some getting used to, but once you do, you will realize how brilliant it all is.

Going back to the content of the book we discover indispensable tips on the proper etiquette of running away. For example, the unnamed boy tells you to forget the hobo idea of a bandana on a stick. A wagon is way more acceptable to carry all the supplies you will need. Taking an animal is also a good idea, but make sure it is one that won’t eat your snacks. You can eat said snacks once you can no longer see your house, but don’t take too long in case a search party is sent out after you.

This book is full of adventure and fun. Pick up the book to see what other tips you missed or your child might miss while planning their great escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment