Wednesday, July 22, 2015

To Kill a Mockingbird #2 or is it #1?


Dreams Shattered…Laughed, Cried, Lessons Learned, Laughed More… Not To Kill a Mockingbird, but Brilliant in its own way. This book is best read with an open mind, just sit back and enjoy the storytelling and the ride it can take you on. Harper Lee can tell a story like few others can. Is it as good as To Kill a Mockingbird, of course not, but really they are not the same in their publication purposes.

If you have lived under a rock for the past little while then you might not know the controversy surrounding the biggest literary moment in 50ish years that was this book. It is an unedited draft of what eventually became the great To Kill a Mockingbird. While I don’t want to believe the sayings about Harper Lee’s ability to approve the publication of the draft into a novel, part of me can’t deny that it might be true. I have always thought the reason she didn’t publish a second book was because nothing could top To Kill a Mockingbird.  Whether that is the case or not, I don’t understand why Go Set a Watchman would be published in its draft form with little editing.

As I look at some of the reviews of the book, I realize we are all like Scout. We idolized Atticus as a god-like figure (myself included, I just love his character!) Yet, he is still a human who is imperfect and we all reacted just like Jean Louise with our own form of retaliation. Many of us are completely unwilling to be associated with Go Set a Watchman, which (at least to me) proves that Harper Lee really does understand people. At the same time we realized that Harper Lee is also an imperfect person who was slightly pushed off the center of her god-like author status as well.

After reading Go Set a Watchman I am reminded of how important it is to have a good editor and publisher. To Kill a Mockingbird might be the product of Harper Lee, but it took more people to make it truly amazing. I am not sure this novel could have held its own without first being published in its classic version first.

To Kill a Mockingbird was originally titled Atticus. It was about Atticus (and maybe Jem too), where Go Set a Watchman was really more about Jean Louise/Scout. I felt everything she felt and that is what I loved most about the book. That, plus the parts of the book revolving around the flashbacks to Scout’s childhood. Once a To Kill a Mockingbird fan, always a fan.

I did feel like there might be a generational divide and/or a geographical divide with this book. I couldn’t figure out half of what was being talked about at first. It took a little bit longer to get into for that reason. Even with that, I still read the book in about 24 hours.

The most disappointing thing was the lack of Jem. How I miss him. Then again, perhaps it is best to have one character who can retain their honor with nothing tainted. Some characters were just left out completely (such as Boo), but there is a chance they didn’t exist in this first writing before Mockingbird came about. Then there were things that weren’t wrapped up at all. I am sure this time we will really never know what happened.

 

Here is the Best Review I found in Goodreads. It is by someone who seemed to get the point:

Jul 15, 2015 Diane Barnes rated it 3 of 5 stars

 

First, let me say that this book IN NO WAY affected my opinion of "To Kill A Mockingbird". If anything, it made me love it more. In my mind, it is even more of a masterpiece from having read it's predecessor, or, as Harper Lee herself described it, the parent of Mockingbird. And Harper Lee herself has lost no respect from me.

The characters become even richer from seeing their future selves in Watchman. There are scenes and dialogue here that showed up in her later effort. She fleshed out some ch
First, let me say that this book IN NO WAY affected my opinion of "To Kill A Mockingbird". If anything, it made me love it more. In my mind, it is even more of a masterpiece from having read it's predecessor, or, as Harper Lee herself described it, the parent of Mockingbird. And Harper Lee herself has lost no respect from me.

The characters become even richer from seeing their future selves in Watchman. There are scenes and dialogue here that showed up in her later effort. She fleshed out some characters and limited others.

And forget the hype about Atticus being a racist. He was a product of his times who thought that the South was not ready for complete equality of the races. It was Alabama in 1955, for goodness sake. He joined the Klan and went to a few meetings so he would know whose faces were under the hoods, in order to limit the harm they could do. All the newspaper articles about this book failed to mention that little detail. Atticus is still Atticus, but more of a human being here, less of a saint. Jean Louise has grown up, and like all kids in their 20's, thinks she knows everything. Dill and Jem make appearances via flashbacks, and we see another side of Calpurnia.

We should bow down in reverence to the editor who suggested to Lee that she tell the story from Scout's childhood perspective. It was a brilliant idea, Lee took the advice, and Mockingbird was brought into existence as the book so many of us have loved all our lives. This book, if published then, would never have achieved the fame and importance of Mockingbird.

To finish, I am so glad I read this book. I was apprehensive at first because I didn't want this one to ruin my love for Mockingbird, but as I said in the beginning, it made me love it more. It just goes to prove how much readers invest in literary characters who can sometimes become more real and influential that the people we actually live with.”

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading your review of this book, as it coincides completely with mine. I loved Go Set a Watchman. Despite the controversy. I loved seeing the grown-up Jean-Louise, and the older Atticus. It was a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete